Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Avengers Assemble: Science Bros - Kelly Sue DeConnick, Stefano Caselli, Pete Woods It's books like this that make me glad I'm reading Marvel again. It isn't quite perfection, but it's so incredibly fun. Avengers Assemble seems like it's positioned as the book for people fresh off the Avengers movie who have little experience in comics, and it's great for that. It has most of the ingredients that made Avengers such a great movie, especially a good balance of serious action and humor. The Science Bros story does start off hilariously (a million bonus points to DeConnick for writing Hulk griping about "hippy peanut butter") but shifts to serious where appropriate. And it doesn't feel any more jarring to the reader than it does to the characters. This is supposed to be fun for them, until it isn't. The villain feels like a credible threat, and has enough character himself that I hope to see him back again soon. The Black Widow story has a more serious tone, and it gives a good look inside Natasha's head. The last issue, an annual, is an oddly touching Vision story. I've read very little classic Avengers, and I barely even know who the character of Vision is, but by the end of the issue I found myself deeply attached to the character. That one apparently wasn't DeConnick, but it was a lovely piece of work.

Between this and [b:Captain Marvel|15984353|Captain Marvel, Vol. 1 In Pursuit of Flight|Kelly Sue DeConnick|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1357824516s/15984353.jpg|21738670], I'm becoming a huge fan of DeConnick. I especially love the tiny, background details in the book, things that you can miss on a quick read but add depth to the story world once you notice them. Things like Captain American signing paperwork in the background of a panel. I don't know if the credit for this sort of thing goes to DeConnick or the artist, or more likely both, but I loved seeing it. And details aside, Caselli draws a really nice looking superhero comic.

The continuity requirement for reading Avengers Assemble has, so far, been practically non-existent. It's a great jumping on point for new fans interested by the movie, and it does a fantastic job of introducing characters who weren't around for the movie.