Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Fade to Blue - Sean Beaudoin What a strange book. Almost impossible to describe without going into an absurd amount of detail, or spoiling the many twists and turns the narrative takes. Let's try this: Sophie Blue's father is gone. He might be dead, or maybe not. Her entire family has been unable to deal with his absence. She herself may be going crazy, finding herself stalked by a speeding ice cream truck, hearing voices, and seeing strange things around her. Or maybe she isn't going crazy after all.

While I was reading this, I was entirely absorbed. I couldn't see where the narrative was going, and I had to know. I couldn't put it down, and I finished in record time. But now, after having finished it, am I still as absorbed? Well, not quite so much. The mystery of what all these strange events actually mean keep the story going, but I didn't get attached enough to either the characters or the world itself to leave me with a lasting love of this book.

But it is absolutely a fun and unusual read, and I would still recommend it for that. It's very different, which can be a good thing. Especially because I could see that Beaudoin put in a lot of work on his setting and timeline of events.