Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids - Michael   Ryan, Michael Ryan, Joss Whedon Something is missing here. The previous volume ended with Iron man standing in the Runaways' hideout in LA. This one opens with them trying to hide out in New York City. Something happened between one issue and the next. Crossover event? Probably. Sigh.

It isn't really necessary to know what happened there to understand the story here, thank goodness. One of the best things that I can say about Whedon taking on the book is that he writes the characters in almost exactly the same way that Vaughan had. They all sound pretty much the same. On one hand, that's good, because it's far less jarring to jump from one book to the next. On the other hand, I would like it if somebody would remember that Molly is actually eleven and write her accordingly.

The time travel storyline actually works fairly well. It's cohesive, different, and interesting. And time travel has been a background part of Runaways from the very beginning, without ever being used. So it was about time that somebody did. The new characters introduced (Klara and Lillie) were interesting enough in their own rights, as well as for the story possibilites they unlock. I wish both of them were going to be in the book in the future, but that wasn't meant to be.

Overall, this is one of the better volumes of Runaways that I've read, at least as good as the first volume.