Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
The New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 2 - Marv Wolfman, George Pérez I have to start this review by pointing out just how big this omnibus edition is. It's over 700 pages, hardcover, and has over two dozen individual issues of Teen Titans, plus one Batman and the Outsiders from a crossover story. Previously, you would have had to read [b:The New Teen Titans Archives, Vol. 4|3581438|The New Teen Titans Archives, Vol. 4|Marv Wolfman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361610910s/3581438.jpg|3623691], [b:Terra Incognito|707896|The New Teen Titans Terra Incognito |Marv Wolfman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349062491s/707896.jpg|694170], and [b:The Judas Contract|707903|The New Teen Titans The Judas Contract|Marv Wolfman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349006172s/707903.jpg|694177] to read them all. What I'm saying here is that this book could double as a deadly weapon in a pinch, provided you can heft it, and is by far the most efficient way to read the entirety of what may be the most famous story told in the pages of Teen Titans: the complete Terra.

Along with the introduction of the Brother Blood cult, and a few issues with Starfire's evil sister, the main draw here is that you get everything from Terra's first appearance to her death. This is one of those stories that leave me wondering what it must have been like to read this at the time, getting only one issue a month. Did the first readers feel betrayed by Terra? Did they spot the immediate signs that not all was right with her? I can see them, but I know what's going to happen here. That doesn't make the story any less compelling to read, thirty years (yes, thirty!) later. Sure, both art and writing are a tad dated, but they're still solid pieces of work. And early 80s fashion or not, Perez's art is always beautiful to look at.

But I did find myself getting a little irritated with apparently dropped storylines. Brother Blood shows up in the first issue in this collection, but the story is seemingly dropped very quickly. And then it's picked back up again after about five issues without mentioning it at all. I am a little sensitive to this, as this kind of thing (painfully long storylines, not mentioned for months at a time before flaring up again) is the exact thing that lead to me giving up reading monthly issues a few years ago. How did this feel for Teen Titans readers at the time? I would have been irritated to have the Brother Blood storyline interrupted by several issues of Titans in Space.

Is that a small complaint? God, yes. I could barely put this monster down. Don't be scared away by the massive size, or by the fact that it's basically a period piece by now. This is great writing and great art in any decade. I have an emotional, nostalgic reaction to Titans, I admit, but you don't need nostalgia to see that this is a fine piece of work.