Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Dead Inside: Do Not Enter: Notes from the Zombie Apocalypse - Lost Zombies, Adrian Chappell This is what [b:PostSecret|87640|PostSecret Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives (PostSecret)|Frank Warren|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348984065s/87640.jpg|84604] will look like after the zombie apocalypse. Like PostSecret, it's a collection of (mostly) handwritten notes, supposedly collected by an anonymous survivor. Most of the notes were written after the worst case scenario had already happened, and there's little of the build up to the outbreak. This is a very bleak apocalypse, but what do you expect from zombies?

It seems that the notes were written as part of a collective project, Lost Zombies, which I haven't really looked at yet. I definitely will now, though. Since there was a group of people writing these, the quality does vary a bit. Some of the notes do sound a bit more like something that would actually be sent to PostSecret than a note that you really would find lying around a mysteriously empty house. But there is some really, really good stuff here. The mother who watched her daughter die of heatstroke in a car surrounded by zombies. Somebody snarking on the comic sans in a sign. Scraps of somebody's attempt to write a book about what's happening. And they (mostly) read like notes that really would be left around in a zombie apocalypse.

But I really wish the introduction wasn't there. It's written in-universe, but the mere presence of a calmly typed timeline of zombies undermines the immersion of the rest of the book. It's not like there's anything you really need to know and couldn't possibly get from the rest of the book. I would say to skip the intro and just absorb everything from the notes themselves. They'll tell you everything you really need to know. I wish I had. I also kind of wish that I'd read this on a dark night, in an otherwise empty house, maybe with enough wind to provide strange noises. Actually, that sounds like a really bad idea.