Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
T-Minus: The Race to the Moon - Jim Ottaviani, Zander Cannon, Kevin Cannon T-Minus is a brief, graphic novel history of the space race. And I did enjoy it, for the most part, but this is not the book to start with if you know little or nothing about the race to the moon.

It's obvious that a lot of research and love went into this book. There's some very detailed information here, and the writing is very enthusiastic. But it does seem to skip around quite a bit. I knew enough already to be able to follow it, but it might be confusing for somebody whose knowledge of space flight doesn't go any further back than Apollo 11. I also wondered if anything important was being left out.

But it seems like Ottaviani was going for depicting the personalities on both sides of the space race. And I did like that, especially that the Soviet scientists and cosmonauts were given nearly as much coverage as the Americans. But I did feel like the Cold War aspect was played down a bit. Maybe the scientists and astronauts/cosmonauts weren't as concerned about it as the average American (at one point, the book says that some of the American astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts had met and were friendly) but explaining that would have been nice, and wouldn't have taken more than a line or two.

I do like the idea of nonfiction graphic novels, and this one was fairly well done. But it's really more for somebody who's already done some basic reading on early space flight, and not for somebody coming in without prior knowledge.