Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Motel of the Mysteries - David Macaulay I've read quite a few of David Macauley's books, mostly the ones like [b:Castle|847018|Castle|David Macaulay|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1295715078s/847018.jpg|1499337]: meticulously illustrated and highly researched nonfiction. Motel of the Mysteries is another thing entirely. Set nearly two millenia after the destruction of the U.S., (apparently by being buried under a junk mail explosion) it describes the excavation of a motel, as interpretted by archeologist Howard Carson. See what he did there? If so, you are the target audience.

It can be a pretty funny book, driven by Carson's wildly inaccurate (yet oddly understandable) conclusions about the site. Obviously, it's a burial chamber (motel room), with altar (TV) and sarcophagus (bathtub). The joke can run a bit thin towards the end, though the reproductions (available for sale at the museum gift shop!) ended the book on a high note. Silly though it is, it does raise a few good questions. How much do we really know about prehistory? What has archeology really taught us about the past? And, most importantly, how would the distant future view us?