Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Red Hood and the Outlaws, Vol. 1: Redemption - Scott Lobdell, Kenneth Rocafort Horrible. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of character assassination. Poor Starfire. I always liked her, even as her costumes got more and more improbably revealing. (Her costume here is of the "she has to wear something, so let's put her in as little as possible" school of idiotic superheroine design.) I liked that she could be a fierce warrior as well as sweet and sometimes naive. And even in those tiny costumes, she was always in control of her own sexuality.

No more. For some reason, Lobdell decided that a thinking, feeling Starfire was too much and reduced her to nearly amnesiac fanservice. This Starfire sleeps with both Jason and Roy seemingly because they expect her to, not because she has anything that seems like desire for either of them. Her sexuality is not her own, it's a commodity to be used by her teammates. This while both men know that she's lost many of her memories, and that she has a hard time remembering their names and even telling them apart. Neither of them are at all bothered by this, or seem to expect anything else from a woman. When, later in the book, a villain says that Jason and Roy have been treating her like a wind-up doll, it's painfully, horribly true.

I read the entire book, just so I could say that I had. So I can say that the overall storyline was unappealing to me. Things happened here that should have been major events, but were quietly glossed over. The underlying mythology (which was at least new to me) didn't interest me. Roy was unlikeable, and though I feel sorry for Jason, I don't like him, either. A complete and total loss.