Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories - Robert W. Chambers, E.F. Bleiler A classic of weird horror, The King in Yellow is a collection of short stories. Well, the first four stories are weird horror classics. Related only by the existence and influence of the play The King in Yellow, the second act of which will inevitably drive mad any who read it, they're a set of nicely atmospheric set. What will really linger in your mind is the concept of the play, which we never get more than brief glimpses of. I'd say this is probably what makes the reputation of the book.

These are followed by a wistful, traditional ghost (or, perhaps, time travel) story, and an odd bit of prose that might be an allegory that only the author had a key to, or fragments of a larger work, or a bit of inspired nonsense, but is absorbing nevertheless.

The last four stories are completely and entirely different. Instead of horror, they're a fairly realistic look at the lives of American art students in late 19th century Paris's Latin Quarter. One of the stories is set during the 1870 siege of Paris, but there's no action aside from that. And honestly? They're right up my alley. If I had known these stories were in here, I would have been even more eager to read the book as a whole. But if you aren't interested in the lives of 19th century Parisian students? You might want to stop after The Prophet's Paradise.