Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Ancient Inventions - Peter  James, Nick Thorpe Fun for history buffs, but you definitely have to be a history buff to read through all 600+ pages. I am, and I did. I picked it up because I had greatly enjoyed reading the equally huge [b:Ancient Mysteries|1214607|Ancient Mysteries|Peter James|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320424351s/1214607.jpg|1203047] (both books are approximately the size and shape of an urban phone book), but this book is far more straightforward. There are few actual mysteries here, just what the archaeological record says and suggests came before. Luckily, the authors' writing styles are as interesting as the subject matter, and I practically breezed through it.

And now, the history buff nitpicking: There are limited citations, at the end of the book. Not every source is cited, apparently, but each section has at least one source, and usually more. I spotted a few tiny errors (the Great Wall of China can't be seen from space, and extrapolating that, because they didn't take fully immersive baths on a regular basis, medieval Europeans didn't wash at all on a regular basis) and both authors are pretty comfortable labeling the medieval era as "The Dark Ages". But they are specialists in prehistory and classical history, so I give them a pass. I didn't notice any overt errors in their own specialties.