Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook - Anthony Bourdain Chances are, you know what to expect out of Anthony Bourdain. You've read Kitchen Confidential, or seen No Reservations or one of his guest turns on Top Chef, or you've at least heard of the guy. You know that he's a fairly reliable source of sometimes crude but always passionate commentary about food and those who make and eat it. Medium Raw will deliver exactly what you expect. As a book, it's really more of a series of essays than a cohesive narrative. Fine enough. Not everything in here is something I can connect to, or agree with. 20 course tasting menus? Probably outside my budget forever, and so outside my experience I can't even begin to form a thoughtful opinion. Vegetarians? Disagree totally, but this may be the best he's done, in written form, to explain his negative view of them. (He sees it as a rejection of hospitality to decline any food offered, and viewers of No Reservations knows that he takes that very, very seriously.) I feel like his stance has softened somewhat on a lot of things, and I feel like he's better at communicating why things bother him. Otherwise, standard Bourdain, love him or hate him. Luckily, he's a talented writer with a true appreciation and passion for food, and he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.