Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Wonder Woman: Love and Murder - Rodney Ramos, Terry Dodson, Drew Johnson, Ray Snyder, Rachel Dodson, Paco Diaz, Jodi Picoult To get this out of the way: having Jodi Picoult write Wonder Woman was a blatantly obvious publicity stunt on DC's behalf. But that's fine, because most of the issues here probably have little, if anything to do with who was writing it. This crap came from on high.

To start with, we have Diana taking up the Diana Prince alternate identity for the first time in this continuity. (Damn Crisis.) I need to point out, though, that Wonder Woman has been publicly going as Diana all along, so maybe not the best pseudonym? But it works, and this is the same universe where glasses are a cunning disguise. Diana is bizarrely, unrealistically naive about normal life. She's been living in "man's world" for years, she should at least know what a credit card is.

The real problem here is the horrific Amazons Attack! storyline. (God help me, that's the actual title.) Nothing about this is good, or makes sense. There's no reason for Hippolyta to insist upon taking over the world entirely. It's entirely out of character for her (and so is most of her dialog) and it's out of character for the Amazons to go along. And then the killer bees come out.

Probably most of that is nothing to do with Picoult. I'm guessing that it wasn't her cherished idea to start the Amazon war, then leave halfway through. But I can lay the dialog entirely at her feet. It's not good. Some of it is irritatingly cheesy, like virtually everything Circe said. The flirtation between Diana and Nemesis was flat and more irritating than anything else.

There's some good art here, and a few good scenes at the beginning. But overall, this just isn't good.