Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Heroic Age: One Month to Live - Rick Remender, Stuart Moore, John Ostrander, Rob Williams, Andrea Mutti, Koi Turnbull One Month to Live doesn't start on a unique premise. Through a chemical exposure, Dennis Sykes develops superpowers and tries to use them to make a positive impact. So far, like thousands of other origin stories before and after it. The difference is that Dennis has terminal cancer, and is given one month to live.

In that month, he rubs shoulders with the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and the Avengers. Why? Well, because his powers are pretty cool. There's a lot of good uses for matter manipulation. But also because these heroes have good hearts, they genuinely like Dennis, and they want to help him. Spider-Man can't cure his cancer, but he can train him, and ask Wolverine to keep an eye on his house. So yes, it's Dennis's story, but it's also about who these heroes really are. Which was, I understand, the point of the Heroic Age, that Marvel's heroes really are heroic in every sense.

I have buttons that can be pushed, that can break me down. One of them is a father figure dying of cancer. And One Month to Live pushed the hell out of that button. Maybe I'm easily manipulated, maybe this is something that's too close to me. But this book affected me deeply, honestly left me a mess. It's beautifully written, beautifully illustrated, and ends exactly as it should. It stretches the definition of what comics, superhero books in particular, can and should be.