Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Batgirl: Year One - Scott Beatty, Chuck Dixon, Marcos Martin, Alvaro Lopez I like Babs, a lot. But I know her much better as Oracle (a role she filled beautifully) than as Batgirl. I was excited to read Year One, to get to see more of her in the role that she's recently picked up again. (Haven't decided yet how I feel about that...)

Babs is a great character to lead the narration. She's witty and perceptive, and entirely determined to, in some way, follow in her father's footsteps. But she's too short to join the police, or even the FBI, so costumed crime fighting it is! (It takes a certain person to make that leap, I admit...) The entire volume is her process of learning on the job, which is far from over. There's a really nice Black Canary cameo, where she's used as a capable hero that Babs looks up to, and not just as a sex object for the handling of the hero. (I'm talking to you, Frank Miller.)

It's a great read, anchored by the fantastic narration of Babs herself. The art is stylized and stylish (observe the cover) and makes the book a pleasure to look at as well as to read.