Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps, Vol. 1 - Peter J. Tomasi, James Robinson, J.T. Krul, Ed Benes, Ardian Syaf, Eddy Barrows, Various I've been enjoying the Blackest Night event. It's been very creepy, and more than a little disturbing, and this is collection is no exception. This trade has three storylines (Batman, Superman, and Teen Titans), all of which tie into the greater Blackest Night story by featuring the Black Lanterns. (I would suggest reading at least some of Blackest Night first, so you understand what they are.) There's some serious writing going on here. The weakest storyline, for me, was Superman. Naturally, since I'm not a Superman fan. But even that one was a fairly good read, and included at least one moment that I think everyone will enjoy. (Ma is no pushover.) The Batman story featured a team-up between Dick (now Batman) and Tim (now Red Robin), and I always like seeing those two together. Both Dick and Tim are orphans, and the contrast between how they handle their grief (Dick's has long since been resolved, while Tim is still dealing with his) was handled very well. But the biggest emotional punch came from the Titans story, which confronted Gar with Terra and very nearly went too far by making Donna's dead, infant son a Black Lantern. Bad writing would have made this just exploitational. This wasn't bad writing.