Sesana

Siege
Brian Michael Bendis, Olivier Coipel
Scrivener's Moon - Audio
Philip Reeve
Seven Soldiers of Victory, Vol. 4 - Grant Morrison, Doug Mahnke, Freddie E. Williams II, Yanick Paquette, J.H. Williams III, Serge LaPointe Maybe I should make a "damn it, Morrison" shelf. All too often, he starts with a highly ambitious concept, which starts well and ends in confusion. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, I respect his love for comics past and that he pushes his writing, and I think he's more brilliant than not. And yet...

Here is (yet another) example of that tendency. The concept is very ambitious: take seven little-known DC characters of old (ok, six plus Zatanna) and give them each their own miniseries, done in distinct styles, and tie them up together in the end without letting the stories overlap too much. A team story where the team never meets. I can only imagine that the last issue was interesting to plot out, considering that all of the characters were playing some role in ending the same menace without interacting.

The problem with that is that the different characters are not created equal. Klarion, Shining Knight, and (believe it or not) Frankenstein all ended up being really good reads on their own. Zatanna's series seemed directionless, kind of like she was added to the group just because she was the one that readers would recognize. Bulleteer's had a few interesting elements (the superhero wannabes who get themselves killed, for example) but otherwise didn't contribute much. And the Miracle Man and Guardian series just left me cold.

And then there was the confused finale, with way too much going on. It's seven distinct stories being made to come together all in one issue, so of course it's overwhelmed storytelling. I didn't exactly feel satisfied with the conclusion, but I enjoyed the journey well enough.